Thursday 2 June 2016

Author Q & A with Christi Whitney!!


Hey guys and welcome to a special post!
I thought it was about time I did some author posts as I always like to help out any author by spotlighting their book and getting to know them.

Today's author is Christi Whitney, who very kindly contacted me with interest in doing an Q and A post. So I thought up some questions about her books and herself.

I hope you guys enjoy, and if the books sounds like your up of tea, please do purchase and support Christi, and follow her on her social networks!

First of all, let's hear about the books and the author herself!

THE ROMANY OUTCASTS SERIES, BY CHRISTI J. WHITNEY
Grey (The Romany Outcasts Series, Book 1):



Genre: YA fantasy
Publisher: HarperCollins/HarperVoyagerUK
Release Date: e-book – 30 May, 2015 ; paperback – 22 October, 2015

Official Book Blurb:

Can you still love with a heart of stone?
Sebastian Grey always thought he was a fairly normal teenager – good friends, decent grades
 and a pretty sweet job in his foster brother’s tattoo shop.
But when Romany gypsies arrive in town, Sebastian discovers that his world is not what it 
seems. There is an age-old feud between his family and the gypsies – and this isn’t the 
only secret his brother has been keeping from him. His life is not his own. The girl he’s 
been dreaming about has just turned up at school, and he feels compelled to protect her at all
 costs.
Even if that means life might never be normal again.

 Links:

Shadow (The Romany Outcasts Series, Book 2)



Genre: YA fantasy
Publisher: HarperCollins/HarperVoyagerUK
Release Date: e-book – 2 June, 2016

Official Book Blurb:

The second volume in this incredible YA trilogy. When stone hearts break they shatter.
Sebastian Grey used to be a normal teenager. Now he’s a creature whose sole purpose is to 
be a guardian for secretive gypsy clans.
When the Romany gypsies need his help, Sebastian is given a second chance to protect 
Josephine Romany – the girl he loves. But this is no easy task when some of them think he’s 
as bad as the shadow creatures attacking their camp.
Yet to keep Josephine safe, Sebastian might have to embrace his darker side. Even if that 
means choosing between his humanity and becoming the monster everyone believes him to 
be.


Author Bio:


Christi J. Whitney is a former high school teacher with a love for the 
dramatic. She lives just outside Atlanta with her husband and two sons. 
When not spending time with them or taking a ridiculous number of trips 
to Disney World, she is usually directing plays, geeking out over Doctor 
Who, making costumes for sci-fi/fantasy conventions, watching superhero 
movies, or pretending she's a tad bit British. Connect with her on Twitter 
@ChristiWhitney.

Social Media Links 



Q & A time!!! 





1. Tell us about your latest book/s and why people should read it.


The Romany Outcasts Series is a YA fantasy trilogy currently being published with 
HarperCollins/HarperVoyagerUK. Grey was released last year, and the second installment  
Shadow comes out in digital form on the 2nd of June. 
Grey tells the story of eighteen-year-old Sebastian, who is pulled into a secretive world of Outcast Gypsies, shadowy creatures, and a destiny he can’t escape. You can read the official book blurb of Grey here:
If you enjoy YA, mysteries, a teen male POV, and fantasy series with unique world building, 
please check it out!

2. Who are your top 5 favourite YA fantasy authors?


My list changes, depending on when I can devote myself to reading. I’ve got three new authors whose books I’m about to begin, but I can always put these authors at the top. 
Suzanne Collins
Cassandra Clare
C.S. Lewis
Maggie Stiefvater
Lauren DeStefano

3. Who inspires you to write?

Honestly, my critique group is my biggest inspiration. We’ve been together for over four years 
now, and they are the best encouragers I know! Every time I leave a meeting, I’m ready to sit #down at my computer and pump out some more chapters.


4. Where is your favourite place to write?


I’ll write whenever and wherever I can. I do love my small office upstairs in my house. It’s 
basically my little geek getaway, filled with all kinds of pop culture, sci-fi, and fantasy stuff. 

5. Why did you choose to write YA?


Writing YA wasn’t really a conscious choice. Teaching high school for eleven years, I spent 
more time with teens than I did with adults. Plus, I’ve always read a lot of YA – there’s just 
something special about the genre that readers can relate to, no matter their age. So when
 it came time to write my first novel, I naturally went with YA.

6. Are your characters based on anyone in real life?


Actually, yes! Many of my former students found their way into The Romany Outcasts Series – 
a couple in particular. Sebastian’s friend Katie pays homage to a student of mine who was also
 one of the first to read and give feedback on Grey. It was my ‘thank you’ to her. I also used 
co-workers and people I interacted with as inspiration for some of my characters.

7. Have you ever had to keep a big secret from someone?

My book Grey revolves around secrets and mysteries. I think most of us have had a time 
where we had to keep something from someone we cared about, and even if it was for the 
right reason, it’s not something fun or enjoyable.
8. If you could go back in time to a past historical moment i.e victorian times, where 
would you go and why?


That’s a really touch one to narrow down! Could I maybe just borrow the TARDIS so that I 
don’t have to choose?

9. What are your favourite TV shows?


Doctor Who will always be at the top of my list. I’ve watched it since I was 12. I’ve enjoyed a lot
 of British shows over the last few years, including BroadchurchBeing Human, and Sherlock
Currently, I’m into Marvel’s Agents of ShieldThe Last ShipDark MatterShadowhunters 
(which I only watch because Simon Lewis is one of my favorite characters in YA), The 100 
Grimm; and I just blew through the first two seasons of Wolfblood on Netflix, which was pretty 
good.

10. What are your top 5 favourite YA books?

The Giver by Lois Lowry
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
Wither by Lauren DeStefano


And that's it guys!
Don't forget to order yourselves a copy of Christi's books ( I know I want to!).
A massive thank you to Christi for agreeing to be a part of Kitkatscanread today.

All the best, book people!

Keep smiling, keep reading and be happy!!
Thank you for taking the time to read this =)
~Katie~

 

1 comment: