Wednesday 1 January 2014

Review: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan



Title: The Lightning Thief
Author:  Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson & the Olympians (#1)
Publisher: Puffin Books
Rating: 4/5 Stars


Goodreads-badge-add-plus



Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood. I never asked to be the son of a Greek God. I was just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I accidentally vaporized my maths teacher. That's when things started really going wrong. Now I spend my time fighting with swords, battling monsters with my friends, and generally trying to stay alive.

This is the one where Zeus, God of the Sky, thinks I've stolen his lightning bolt - and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea.

Can Percy find the lightning bolt before a fully-fledged war of the Gods erupts?


(From Goodreads)


Source: I own a copy.

I have owned this book since February 2013 when I bought the series from a charity shop. 
I have been pestered TO DEATH to read this book. 
It's incredibly hyped in the BookTube world. 
So FINALLY I decided to pick it up in December to see what the fuss was all about. 

I really hate hype sometimes...

EVERY TIME I read a book that is non-stop talked about, guaranteed I won't "love" it.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Greek mythology, the Gods, the Goddesses, and the writing is AWESOME!!

Please bare in mind I was in a slump-ish mood when reading this. Plus I was ill. That can have a major effect on the book. 

I just didn't enjoy it as much as everyone else did. 

The book did contain a great adventure, and I did enjoy travelling along with Percy and his friends. 

The story is told from Percy's perspective, which is good as we get to see how he copes with being a demi-God. 
Percy is a hero and is very brave.

Annabeth is a great female character. Although I did feel sorry for her when she told her story,  she is very kick-ass.

Grover is very funny and like-able. 

All three of these characters remind me of Harry, Ron and Hermione from Harry Potter as they were going around doing the task. They are all loyal to each other, and their friendship is what I admire.

Every chapter has a title referring to it, which I thought was good. They also have a decent length.

I really liked the beginning. It was straight into the adventure; no gimmicks. 

The book ended in a way so that I want to read the sequel. 

Unfortunately I saw the movie to the book before reading the book, so it did ruin it a little. 

Overall I did enjoy the book and will be continuing on with the series. I gave this four out of five stars. 

I recommend if you like middle grade books, Greek mythology, Gods, Goddesses, etc. 

 
I hope you have enjoyed this review.
  
  Happy reading =)  


~Katie~

No comments:

Post a Comment