Thursday 10 October 2013

Review: Teardrop by Lauren Kate



Title: Teardrop
Author:
Lauren Kate
Publisher: Doubleday Childrens
Rating: 5/5 Stars



Synopsis:

Never, ever cry. . . . Eureka Boudreaux's mother drilled that rule into her daughter years ago. But now her mother is gone, and everywhere Eureka goes he is there: Ander, the tall, pale blond boy who seems to know things he shouldn't, who tells Eureka she is in grave danger, who comes closer to making her cry than anyone has before.

But Ander doesn't know Eureka's darkest secret: ever since her mother drowned in a freak accident, Eureka wishes she were dead, too. She has little left that she cares about, just her oldest friend, Brooks, and a strange inheritance—a locket, a letter, a mysterious stone, and an ancient book no one understands. The book contains a haunting tale about a girl who got her heart broken and cried an entire continent into the sea. Eureka is about to discover that the ancient tale is more than a story, that Ander might be telling the truth . . . and that her life has far darker undercurrents than she ever imagined. From Lauren Kate comes an epic saga of heart-stopping romance, devastating secrets, and dark magic . . . a world where everything you love can be washed away.












My thoughts: 

I was so excited when I received a copy of this; courtesy to Random House Children's publishers
I will say that as this was an ARC copy I received, it does not effect my opinion of the book whatsoever, and the review is purely on my own personal thoughts.
I read this book along with a friend who also got the ARC from Random House
I have read some books from Lauren Kate's other series called the Fallen series. 
I was really intrigued with this book though, as I have heard mixed feelings on her Fallen series.



~Storyline~

I found the storyline very interesting as I haven't heard of a story like it. 
It's amazing when you'd think surely we've ran out of ideas on what books can be about?
Lauren Kate proves us wrong with this one. 
I haven't heard of a girl who is told not to cry, nor have I heard what a 'Seedbearer' is. 
It's truly fascinating, and I found it to be very gripping at the same time. 



~Cover~

The cover to this book has definitely made it to my top 10 favourite book covers EVER.
It's SO beautiful, and it really draws you in. 
I love is so much!
It's also blue which is my favourite colour. 
The colours all mingle together perfectly, and the font is very clear.



~Synopsis~ 

The synopsis of the book is really good because straight away I'm interested.
I want to know why Eureka can't cry, and who is this mysterious guy? And what is this ancient tale? So many questions I need answering straight away. 
So I was definitely interested.
If I saw this in a shop, I would pick it up for the synopsis.



~Characters~

Eureka -  is a very like-able strong female character. I really liked her as a main character.
Ander -  is an awesome character. You can tell he really cares about Eureka.
Brooks - is one of those cute, curious guys. He is Eureka's friend, and there is something mysterious about him at the same time.
Cat - is a great best friend to Eureka. I really liked her.
Eureka's Dad - He is such a cool dad. 

There are various other characters, and they were also very well developed.
In general I loved all the characters and reading about them.



~Structure~

The story is written in second person, and the chapters have a nice decent length, which is nice.



~Writing~

The writing is easy to understand as well as gripping. I am familiar to Lauren Kate's writing style. I like how her books are written.



~Title relevance~ 

The relevance of the title to the book is very clear straight away, as Eureka is told not to shed a 'Teardrop'



~Beginning~

The beginning of the book was absolutely fantastic! Straight away my thoughts were "What a start!", and immediately wanted to continue.



~Ending~

I loved the ending to the book. It ends in such a way where I am demanding for the sequel!



~Rating & overall thoughts~

Overall this book was fantastic. It had me hooked throughout, and I was asking myself questions that did get answered near the end. 
It also contained a few shockers which I wasn't expecting. I always like to be surprised.
I did prefer this book to Lauren Kate's Fallen series by far. 
I couldn't fault this book at all, so I gave it a whooping five stars!



~Recommend?~

Yes! Go get it! Go pre-order it now! =D



Video review:







I hope you have enjoyed reading this review.



Happy reading =)

Goodreads-badge-add-plus

No comments:

Post a Comment